2019 סיכום ישיבת ועד פברואר

Summary of KMA Board Meeting

Tuesday night, February 5, 2019

Present: Alexis, Beth, Brian, Jeff, Rachel, Gadi and Rabbi Kleiner.

Absent: Dovy

 

Alexis informed the Board about a fundraising initiative honoring Danby Meital and the creation of a committee chaired by Jeff Rothenberg to organize the event. The event will take place in November 2019, but an exact date still needs to be set.

Alexis also informed the Board about an initiative by Glen Ledau to create a fund/amutah for the benefit of the Bayit Cham program. She will be meeting with Yehoshua Leor to discuss the details.

Discussion took place about having an event to honor Shoshona Avner on the occasion of her “shloshim” and how to manage this along with Rachel Leor’s “shloshim”. Alexis will follow up on this.

A suggestion to have an event in honor of the deceased Mexican donor, Mr. Levi z”l, did not take traction.

Following up on Brian’s mapping of Bella’s duties (with additions by Jeff and Alexis), each Board Member was requested to do a mapping of their own duties: what am I doing; what should I be doing that I’m not getting done; and what am I doing that somebody else should be doing. Beth will put it all together in an Excel spread sheet.

The remainder of the meeting was devoted to programming. Rachel mentioned a plan (with Dovy) for a clothes swap in March, but that time frame was questioned as fitting due to being squashed between Purim and Pesach. She’ll continue following up on it.

Purim: Jeff said that all is taken care of logistically – just need to give instructions to the maintenance person to open up the heichal doors into the Kiddush room and set up chairs. Several Board Members noted the need to publicize the event and to include with it something special (programming) to draw more people in light of the competition. Two ideas are still on the table: photo magnets and a makeup workshop for children. As for publicity, Alexis will meet with Tami at the Movement to design a flyer/poster and work on email promotion. Gadi is willing to help, particularly boosting the event on Facebook.

As for upcoming holidays, Alexis requested from the Rabbi dates and times for tefillot  (the Rabbi has already followed up on this with an email of times sent to the Board). At the meeting, it was agreed that the reading of the Megillah on Purim night (March 21) will be at 18:00 – subject to refinement by the Rabbi.

Rachel brought up ideas regarding Pesach: a get rid of your Purim chametz Kiddush on Shabbat, March 23.

A question was raised if there will be a Kiddush on Shabbat chol hamoed Pesach. The only real impediment to having it is that the kitchen will need to be koshered. The Rabbi said it is possible for him to kosher it.

Brian updated the Board about the Shabbaton. Around 23 rooms are taken with approximately 70 participants. Only about half of the money Jac raised to subsidize the price to the members will be needed to cover the difference between what KMA pays to the Field School and the amount paid by the participants. Alexis mentioned that she liked the way each of the next activities at the last Shabbaton were announced – a member stood up, said a few words about himself/herself, and then announced the activity. Brian said he’d pass on this idea to the co-chairs of the Shabbaton committee.

Alexis noted, on bringing the meeting to a close, that the next Board Meeting will be devoted primarily to the upcoming AGM and establishing a nominations committee to put together a slate of new Board Members. As Beth cannot be at the meeting scheduled for Tuesday night, March 5, she requested that it take place on Monday night, March 4. She also requested that Alexis send out an email to the Board prior to the meeting detailing what will be discussed.

 

Summary by Brian